Inspired by the famous Hainanese chicken rice, this one-pot chicken rice is very easy to prepare and packed with aroma and flavour. A great dish for sharing.
I really love one-pot meals! Not only are they time-saving, but also the flavour of each ingredient combines very well when cooked together. In our Red House, the most popular one-pot meal has to be Chinese style one-pot chicken rice (葱姜鸡饭).
Inspired by Hainanese Chicken Rice
My recipe for Chinese style one-pot chicken rice is inspired by “Hainanese chicken rice (海南鸡饭)”, the national dish of Singapore which was adapted by Chinese immigrants originally from Hainan province in southern China. It contains chicken pieces (sliced from a whole chicken poached in water), some flavoursome and oily rice (steamed in chicken stock and chicken fat) and a savoury dipping sauce. It’s super tasty!
One day I asked myself: How about cooking chicken and rice at the same time in one single pot? I tried to make a few changes to the classic Hainan chicken rice recipe. And it turned out to be a very simple and delicious dish!
The cooking procedure
Here is exactly how I cook my Chinese style one-pot chicken rice:
- Marinate the chicken with scallions, ginger, rice wine, etc. Instead of a whole chicken, I use deboned chicken drumsticks (Please refer to the images above to learn how to debone them easily). Chicken thighs are great choice too.
- Use the pilaf method to cook rice. Fry scallions and ginger in oil (take half out for making the sauce later) then add rice and diced carrot. After pouring in water, place marinated chicken pieces on top. Cook on low heat. During cooking, the juice from the chicken flows onto the rice and makes it super flavoursome.
- Prepare the sauce. Add soy sauce, black rice vinegar and chilli to the remaining fried scallions and ginger. After transferring the chicken and rice into serving bowls, pour the sauce over.
- Add some greens. If you’d like to make this one-pot chicken rice a more complete meal, quickly blanch some Pak Choi (or other easy-to-cook leafy greens) and add to the side.
Chinese style one-pot chicken rice (葱油鸡饭)
For the chicken
- 8 chicken drumsticks, see note 1
- 1 tsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 pinch white pepper
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 stalk scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced ginger
For the rice
- 280 g jasmine rice, 1 ½ cup
- 1 ½ tbsp cooking oil
- 2 stalk scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 pinch salt
- 530 ml water, 2 ¼ cup, see note 3
Marinate the chicken
- Use kitchen scissors to debone the drumsticks: cut around the knuckle. Insert scissors under the flesh and cut along the bone. Trim the remaining flesh from the bone (as shown in photos above).
- Marinate chicken pieces with Shaoxing rice wine, white pepper, salt, scallions and ginger. Leave to rest for at least 10 minutes.
Cook the rice
- Rinse rice under cold water. Soak for about 10 mins then drain.
- Heat up oil in a pot (or a deep frying pan). Fry scallions and ginger until fragrant. Spoon half out into a small bowl for making the sauce later.
- Add rice, carrot and salt. Stir fry for a minute then pour in water. Place chicken pieces on top (Avoid overlapping).
- Bring the water to a boil. Put the lid on then turn the heat down to the lowest. Cook for 15 minutes or so. Remove from the heat then let it stand for a further 5 minutes (see note 2 & 3).
Serve the dish
- While waiting, prepare the sauce. Add light soy sauce, black rice vinegar and chilli to the bowl which holds the fried scallions and ginger. Mix well.
- When cooked, put the rice then the chicken into serving bowls. Top with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Hope my post gives you some inspiration on one-pot quick meal preparation. Let me know how you like it by leaving a comment below or connect with me @red.house.spice on Instagram.