A fourteen day culinary tour of China, with an enthusiastic native Chinese food blogger, exploring some of China’s most diverse gastronomic traditions and culture.
Food is so central to all aspects of life in China that when Chinese people greet each other one of their first utterances is not “Ni Hao” (Hello!), but “Chi Le Ma” (Have you eaten?). If you really want to understand China and its people, then a journey through its diverse gastronomic traditions is essential.
The diversity of cuisine available in China is rarely seen in Chinese restaurants or take-aways outside China. In fact, many readers of my blog have commented on the differences between the recipes I introduce there and what is available to them locally. This desire on the part of my readers to embrace authentic Chinese cuisine has been a key factor in my decision to organise my 2018 culinary tour of China. As a native Chinese and founder of Red House Spice, I have put together a culinary tour of China which will give you the opportunity to go beyond the rather superficial and rushed introduction to China typical of many commercial tours.
An Unforgettable Adventure
Join me on a fourteen day exploration of six of China’s most culturally and culinary diverse cities. I will be your guide and fellow traveller on this leisurely tour experiencing Chinese gastronomic traditions and culture. In addition, we will also visit unmissable historic sites, such as the Great Wall of China, the Forbidden City and the Terracotta Army, taking the time to appreciate their rich history and cultural significance.
I believe that my 2018 culinary tour of China will be an unforgettable adventure. You will leave knowing that you have seen and touched the essence of China.
Exclusive Culinary Experiences
For my 2018 culinary tour of China I have selected a variety of culinary activities which the ordinary visitor to China would rarely encounter. During my tour you will have the opportunity to:
- Dine in sought-after restaurants specializing in local cuisines with a predominantly Chinese cliental. Dishes will be mindfully selected based on everyone’s taste and curiosity.
- Savor the atmosphere, noise and smells of China’s authentic street food stalls and cafés. Try some mouth-watering local specialities freshly prepared in front of you.
- Practice hands-on cooking classes to develop your culinary skills and gain in-depth knowledge of signature dishes from several regional cuisines. You will also bring a cookery certificate home.
- Visit the home of an ordinary Chinese resident and participate in preparing a meal, then enjoy sharing that meal with the host in an authentic family ambiance.
- Embrace the feverish atmosphere of a Chinese kitchen. Meet the master chef of a family-run restaurant and enjoy dishes on his private menu unavailable to regular diners.
- Admire the art of hand-pulled noodles. An exclusive demonstration will show you how a master chef stretches dough into noodles of various sizes: from hair-thin to belt-wide.
- Stroll around a vibrant market where ordinary Chinese hunt for fresh vegetable, fruit, meat, seafood and spices. Discover ingredients that you don’t see in other parts of the world.
- Visit a village which grows the most prestige green tea in China. Learn about tea plantation, harvesting and roasting process. Then enjoy some tea served in a traditional, artistic manner.
Unmissable Historic Sites
In addition to our culinary explorations, I will introduce you to China’s most important cultural heritage sites, including:
• The Great Wall of China • Forbidden City • Temple of Heaven • Terracotta Army • Giant Panda Research Base • Watermills on Yellow River • Old City Wall of Xi’an • Temple of Soul’s Retreat • Feilai Feng Buddist Grottos • Yuyuan Garden • Temple of the City Gods • The Bund, Shanghai
From 20th May 2018 to 2nd June 2018
14 days in total
Maximum 8 persons
DESTINATIONS & ROUTE
Beijing — Lanzhou — Xi’an — Chengdu — Hangzhou — Shanghai
Hi! I’m Wei, your guide & fellow traveller
I grew up in China and am a native Chinese speaker. I’m also fluent in English and French. A journalist for several years in Beijing, I currently reside in England.
I inherited my family’s passion for food and this led me to develop my own recipes, as well as to write and photograph for my blog “Red House Spice”.
Living in Europe has given me a new perspective on Chinese cuisine and has spurred my interest in researching the many delights of China’s regional cuisines.
In planning this private culinary tour of China, I have drawn on my extensive network of local contacts in order to gain access to some exclusive experiences which are included in the tour itinerary. I look forward to your company as I explore the many and varied culinary delights of China.
- $ 4450 USD per person (if travelling alone)
- $ 3800 USD per person (if sharing hotel rooms with a family member or a friend)
The price includes:
- Transport: Airport collection upon arrival / 2 domestic flights (economy class) / 3 high-speed train journeys (first class) / Private minibus with chauffeur / Public transport in city centre
- Accommodation: 9 nights in 4-star hotels and 4 nights in high-quality guest house
- Meals: 13 breakfasts / 9 lunches / 5 dinners (Each lunch & dinner includes free flow tea, a soft drink or local beer per person)
- All admission fees to sites mentioned in itinerary
- Cost of all the activities mentioned in itinerary
- Interpretation and guide services throughout the journey (provided either by myself or by a professional)
- A welcome gift & a farewell gift
The price does not include:
- International flight (and domestic flight if necessary) arriving in Beijing
- International flight (and domestic flight if necessary) leaving from Shanghai
- Chinese tourist visa fee (required by most foreign nationals)
- Travel & health insurance
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Transport to airport at the end of the tour (can be arranged with a surcharge)
Use the form below to contact me regarding booking a place on my culinary tour of China, or to receive further information regarding the tour. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
The booking deposit is $500 USD per person (Booking details and Terms & Conditions will be emailed to you)
The tour cost (including booking deposit) is fully refundable should a written cancelation be received 60 days prior to departure.