Beef dumplings in hot & sour soup (酸汤水饺)
Beef dumpling soup is warm, comforting and addictive. This recipe provides a step by step guide on how to make it at home.
Servings: 4 servings
For the dough
- 300 g all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 pinch salt
- 160 ml water see note 1
For the filling
- 300 g minced beef see note 2
- 1 stalk scallions finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground Sichuan pepper or Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon Shaoxing rice wine
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 150 ml water or stock
- 150 g Chinese chives finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the spiced vinegar
- 80 ml black rice vinegar
- 80 ml water
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar or regular sugar
- 1 piece Chinese cinnamon(cassia cinnamon)
- 1 star-anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch fennel seeds
- 1 pinch Sichuan peppercorn
For EACH bowl of soup
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Chinese chilli oil or to taste
- 1 pinch salt
- Spring onion chopped
- Coriander chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Papery dried shrimp Optional
Make the dough
In a mixing bowl, add flour, salt and water. Knead with your hands (or a stand mixer with a fitted dough hook) to form a medium-firm dough (See note 1).
Leave to rest for 30-60 minutes. Then knead again until smooth.
Mix the filling
Mix beef, spring onion, ginger, ground Sichuan pepper (or five-spice powder), rice wine and salt.
Swirl constantly in the same direction while gradually adding water/stock into the mixture until all the liquid is completely absorbed.
Add Chinese chive and sesame oil then mix well.
Prepare the spiced vinegar
Cook the dumplings
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over a high heat. Gently slide in half of the dumplings (see note 3). Cover with a lid.
When the water returns to a boil, pour in about 120 ml of cold water then cover. Repeat the same procedure another two times (see note 4).
How to freeze dumplings
Freeze raw dumplings right after they are assembled. Lay them on a tray (dust with flour or line with parchment paper). When totally frozen, transfer them into an air-tight bag.
No need to defrost before cooking. Follow the same cooking procedure described above.
1. The ideal flour water ratio may vary slightly depending on the brand of the flour and how you measure it (Measuring flour with cups is less accurate). To make wrapper rolling easier, the dough shouldn’t be too soft.
2. For better taste, choose minced beef which has a higher fat content.
3. Please refer to my post on "Ten ways to fold dumplings" which includes a turorial video.
4. It is advisable to cook dumplings in batches (20-25 dumplings at a time) to avoid them sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 513kcal