Mung bean sprout stir-fry & homegrown method
A simple yet delicious mung bean sprout stir-fry. A guide is also included on how to grow mung bean sprouts at home. Check out the method & tips in the recipe notes.
Servings: 2 servings
For the stir-fry
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pinch Sichuan peppercorns optional
- 300 g mung bean sprouts
- 3 fresh chili sliced
- 2 stalk scallions finely chopped
Mix all the ingredients for the seasoning. Set aside.
Heat up the wok over high heat. When it starts to smoke, pour in oil.
Stir in minced garlic and Sichuan pepper. Fry until fragrant.
Add mung bean sprouts and fresh chili. Stir fry until they lightly wilt.
Pour in the seasoning mixture. Add chopped scallions.
Give everything a quick stir then dish out.
HOW TO SPROUT MUNG BEANS
Yield: 50g (1/4cup) mung beans make about 2 servings of sprouts
Time: The entire process takes 4-6 days depending on the room temperature.
1. Rinse mung beans thoroughly (remove poor quality beans which are dark or wrinkled).
2. Put the beans in a bowl then add clean water. Leave to soak for 1-2 days until they double in size and some tiny sprouts appear.
3. Drain the beans. Place them in a colander. Spread to reduce overlapping. Cover with a wet towel then place a plate on top.
4. Put the colander inside a large bowl (non-transparent). Then cover with a piece of cloth to block light. Leave in a cool, shady place.
5. In the next 3-5 days, rinse the beans under running water twice a day (Set alarms in case you forget). This is how to do it each time:
6. When the bean sprouts are fully grown, pull them out of the colander (the roots will be caught in the holes). Store in a sealable bag in the fridge for up to three days.
7. Before using, rinse the sprouts several times to remove most of the green skin of the beans.
- Uncover the bowl. Remove the colander. Take the plate away but do not remove the towel over the beans.
- Rinse under running water. Then put the plate back.
- Place the colander back into the bowl. Cover with the cloth.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 112kcal