Stir-fried eggplant with plum sauce (苏梅酱茄子)
Creamy and luscious, stir-fried eggplant with plum sauce is a dish to die for. This recipe tells you how to achieve the desired texture using a minimum of oil.
Servings: 2 servings
- 1 large eggplant, cut into chunks about 400g/14oz
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1½ tbsp Chinese plum sauce 苏梅酱
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tsp water
- 5 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 stalk scallion, chopped
- Fresh chilli, chopped to taste
Pre-cook the eggplant (see note 1)
Option A: Steaming. Boil the water first then place the eggplant into the steamer. Cook for 3-4 mins. Discard any water.
Option B: Using a microwave. Cook the eggplant (placed evenly on a plate) in two batches. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes each time (see note 2).
Stir-frying the dish
Mix plum sauce, soy sauce, rice wine and water. Set aside.
Heat up oil in a wok (or a deep frying pan) over high heat. Add ginger and garlic, let it sizzle for 10 seconds or so. Then put the eggplant in. Stir from time to time until it becomes a little brown.
Turn the heat down to low. Pour the sauce then sprinkle scallions and chilli over the aubergine. Stir until the eggplant is evenly coated with the sauce. Serve immediately with plain rice.
1. The pre-cooking time may vary depends on the type and the cut size of the aubergine. Please feel free to adjust it accordingly.
2. I use an 800-watt microwave for this recipe. If your microwave has a different wattage, this link "Microwave Timing Conversion Charts" might be useful.