Homemade dumpling wrappers (饺子皮)
Making dumpling wrappers from scratch couldn’t be easier! In this section of my ultimate dumpling guide, you will learn to master this basic skill with ease (Video demonstration in post).
Servings: 30 wrappers
For making around 30 wrappers
- 250 g all-purpose flour about 2 cups, plus some for dusting
- 130 ml water ½ cup+2 teaspoon (see note 1)
Add water to the flour gradually. Gently mix with a pair of chopsticks / spatular until no more loose flour can be seen. Then combine and knead with your hand. Leave to rest covered for 10-15 minutes then knead it into a smooth dough (see note 2).
Cover and rest the dough again for 30-60 minutes until it becomes soft (Chinese cooks would say “as soft as an earlobe”).
Make a loop with the dough then divide it into four parts. Roll one part (cover the rest to prevent them from drying out) into a rope then cut into 7-8 equal sections.
Press each piece into a small disc with the palm of your hand. Then use a rolling pin to flatten it into a thin disc. Dust with flour if the dough sticks (Please refer to the video below).
Use the fresh wrappers immediately. If you wish to freeze them for later, sprinkle extra flour in between each wrapper. Pile them up then place into an air-tight plastic bag (squeeze out the air as much as possible). Defrost in the fridge then use them straightaway.
1. Please be aware that measuring flour by cups is less accurate and the flour water ratio may vary depending on the brand of your flour.
2. You may use a stand mixer with a dough hook to achieve step 1. Mix flour and water on a low speed until a smooth dough forms.
3. Hot-water dough: If you prefer a less resilient texture for pan fried or steamed dumplings, you can make a hot-water dough. Replace ⅔ of the water with boiling water. First mix it with the flour. Then add ⅓ part of room temperature water. Knead as usual.
4. Semi-starchy dough: This dough also creates a more tender texture. Replace about ¼ of the flour with corn starch. Don't forget to sift to ensure an even mix. Make the dough as usual.
Serving: 1wrapper | Calories: 29kcal