Chinese-style spaghetti salad (凉拌意面)
Give Italian pasta a Chinese character. This Chinese-style spaghetti salad with sesame dressing is bursting with flavour.
- 150 g dried spaghetti 5oz
- 2 slices ham
- ¼ red bell pepper
- ½ courgette/zucchini
- 2 eggs +2 teaspoon water
Cook spaghetti following the instruction on the package. Drain and rinse under running water until completely cool (see note 2).
Cut ham into long stripes. Finely slice red bell pepper. Make courgette noodles using your preferred method (see note 3).
Make thin omelette
Beat the egg and water until the egg white and yolk are well combined.
Pour half of the egg mixture onto a non-stick frying pan (over medium heat). Give it a good swirl. Turn the omelette over when there is no liquid remaining. Cook for a further few seconds.
Repeat the procedure with the other half of the egg mixture. Then cut the omelette into long stripes.
Assemble the dish
Put all the prepared ingredients above into a salad bowl. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, fresh chilli (if using).
Mix all ingredients for the dressing. Pour over the salad. Stir well before serving.
1. Pure Chinese sesame paste has a very thick consistency. Add 1 tablespoon of water to 1 tablespoon of paste. Mix with the back of a spoon until smooth.
2. Leftover spaghetti is great for this salad. Add a few drops of sesame oil to the cooled spaghetti then stir well. Keep it refrigerated until the moment you start to prepare the salad.
3. Four ways to make courgette noodles:
- Use a julienne peeler.
- Use a spiralizer.
- Use a regular vegetable peeler. Peel the courgette into long ribbons. Stack the ribbons on top of each other then cut them into noodles.
- Use a grater with large holes. Trim the end of the courgette. Grate courgette at a narrow angle slowly and carefully.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 199kcal