Steamed Chicken with Shiitake Mushroom (香菇蒸鸡)
Tender, succulent and fragrant, Chinese steamed chicken with mushrooms requires little effort to cook yet it tastes amazing.
For the chicken
- 500 g chicken thighs, cut into chunks 1.1 lb, see note 1
- 8 slices ginger
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dark soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon Shaoxing rice wine
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil¼
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
You also need
- 1 big handful dried shiitake mushroom, rehydrated see note 2
- 4 bird’s eye chilies, deseeded and chopped optional
- 1 stalk scallions finely chopped
Steam the dish
Add shiitake mushroom and chilies to the chicken. Mix then transfer to a deep plate (see note 3).
Bring water to a full boil in a wok/pot. Place in the chicken plate to steam using one of the following set-ups: in a steamer basket, over a steamer rack or a small bowl.
Steam over medium heat for 20 mins. Garnish with scallions and serve immediately.
1. I like skinless, boneless chicken thighs for this dish as they’re easy to cook through and very flavourful. Mid-joint wings are a great choice too.
2. Dried shiitake mushroom provides a key umami flavour to the dish so I don’t recommend you replace them with fresh mushrooms. Soak them in water overnight until they become soft.
3. Do not use a shallow plate as quite a lot of liquid will be extracted from the chicken during steaming. Also, do not use a bowl as it would take a longer time to cook through the chicken.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 313kcal