How to Make Steamed Dumplings, Two Ways (蒸饺)
A complete guide on making steamed dumplings which includes two types of dough, filling ideas, folding methods, dipping sauce & make-ahead advice.
Servings: 24 regular or crystal dumplings
For regular wrappers
- 230 g all-purpose flour/plain flour
- 100 g boiling water
- 30 g room temperature water see note 1
For crystal wrappers
- 100 g wheat starch (澄粉)
- 70 g tapioca starch/corn starch
- 170 g boiling water see note 2
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
For the filling (see note 3 for other filling options)
- 200 g minced pork
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon water/stock
- 150 g Chinese chives, finely chopped
- 30 g canned water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried papery shrimp (虾皮), minced optional, see note 4
- 24 slices carrot see note 5 for other options
Make the dough
For regular wrappers: Pour boiling water into the flour while mixing with chopsticks. Then add room temperature water. Stir until no more liquid can be seen. Combine and knead with your hands until smooth. Cover the bowl then rest for 30 minutes.
For crystal wrappers: Mix wheat starch and tapioca starch (or cornstarch) in a bowl. Pour boiling water over (It has to be just boiled). Stir with chopsticks immediately to distribute the water evenly. Then add oil. Combine and knead with your hands until very smooth. It can be used straight away. Remember to cover it well while preparing the filling.
Mix the filling
Put minced pork into a mixing bowl. Add white pepper, salt, sesame oil & water. Stir to combine.
Add Chinese chives, water chestnut & dried papery shrimp. Mix well then keep in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble the dumplings.
Roll the wrappers
Divide the dough into two parts. Roll each part into a rope then cut into 12 equal sections (24 pieces in total).
Use a rolling pin to flatten a piece into a thin disc, about 9-10cm in diameter (Please refer to the tutorial below). Dust with flour/starch if it sticks. Remember to cover the unused pieces to prevent them from drying out.
Steam the dumplings
Scatter carrot slices in the steamer basket, then place dumplings on top (This is to avoid sticking. You may use parchment paper or coat the steamer with a thin layer of oil).
Bring the water to a full boil, then place the basket in and cover with a lid.
Steam over medium heat for 10 minutes for the regular dumplings, or 6 minutes for the crystal dumplings.
Make-ahead & freeze
Right after the dumplings are assembled, lay them in a single layer on a tray. Freeze until completely frozen. Transfer to an airtight container/plastic bag. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Cook frozen dumplings: Do not defrost. Steam for 15 mins or so.
1. The flour-water ratio may vary a little depending on the brand of the flour. Adjust if necessary. The dough should be medium soft and not sticky.
2. The water for crystal dumpling dough has to be just boiled. If it’s at a lower temperature, the dough consistency will change a lot.
3. You can find other dumpling filling recipes on the blog:
4. You can replace dried papery shrimp (虾皮) with regular dried shrimp which is much bigger. In this case, soak in water to soften then mince. Alternatively, use a few fresh shrimp as a substitute.
5. Instead of sliced carrot, you may use leaves of a Napa cabbage or steamer parchment paper. If using a metal steamer, you can also brush a thin layer of oil to avoid sticking.