Iceberg lettuce with oyster sauce (蚝油生菜)
Briefly blanched lettuce topped with a tasty, sticky sauce, iceberg lettuce with oyster sauce is a classic Chinese dish that gives plain vegetable an appetizing tone.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce about 500g/18oz, see note 1
- 1½ tablespoon oyster sauce see note 2
- ½ teaspoon dark soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon water
- ½ tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
Wash the iceberg lettuce then tear it into big pieces by hand.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the lettuce. Cover with a lid. After 1 minute, drain well then transfer to a plate.
Mix oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch and water.
In a pan, fry garlic in oil over medium heat. Once the garlic slightly browns, add the sauce. Stir until thickened.
Pour the sauce onto the lettuce. Serve immediately.
1. Romaine lettuce is a great substitute. Just make sure to discard the outer leaves if they appear to be tough.
2. Vegetarian option: you may replace regular oyster sauce with vegetarian oyster flavoured sauce which is made from the essence of shiitake mushrooms.